Leading with faith

Cassandra Stewart lives a faith-filled life and seeks out opportunities to help others whenever possible.

At the onset of the coronavirus pandemic, the fashion, dress and merchandising senior felt compelled to use her sewing talents for a greater good.

"I have several family members who were ‘essential employees.’ My older sister is a nurse; my cousin works for Charleston Area Medical Center, and my parents own an automobile parts store,” she said. “I had all of these people around me whose lives didn’t stop, and I saw it as a sign that I needed to do something.”

Temporarily living with her parents in Nitro, West Virginia, Stewart dusted off the sewing machine she keeps there and raided a stash of fabric at her grandmother’s house.

Cassandra Stewart and her grandma have a socially distant visit
Cassandra Stewart and her grandma have a socially distant visit during 2020.
“My grandma, who actually taught me how to sew, is in an assisted living facility and I knew she wouldn’t mind if I used her fabric. I figured out my pattern toward the end of March and haven’t stopped sewing,” she said.

What initially began as an effort to keep her loved ones safe transformed into donating masks to healthcare workers, friends and others in need.

“Our healthcare workers have been heroes. With the PPE shortage, they couldn’t properly protect themselves while literally saving lives,” Stewart said. “The same goes for other essential workers – those who were required to keep going.”

After making and donating 300 masks, she realized she’d need to start charging a small fee to keep going.

“I was running out of my grandma’s fabric and shipping was costing a lot,” she said.

When an experiential learning opportunity fell through, Stewart’s academic adviser agreed to allow her mask-making efforts to replace it and suggested she donate the profits.

Masks sewn by Cassandra Stewart
Masks sewn by Cassandra Stewart as part of a fundraiser for Mountaineer Area Young Life.
Stewart shifted her focus to fundraising for Mountaineer Area Young Life, a faith-based organization that’s had a profound impact on her.

“I've been really involved with church ever since I was little, but they didn’t have activities for college students,” Stewart said. “When first came to WVU and saw Young Life on the student organizations website, I got really excited about finding my community and people with similar interests.”

She’s been involved with the organization for four years and is a leader for the Capernaum section, which celebrates young people of all abilities.

Just like so many other businesses and organizations, the COVID-19 pandemic took its toll on Mountaineer Area Young Life.

“They’re really struggling to raise funds; people just can’t give as much right now,” Stewart said.

Although she wasn’t comfortable disclosing how much money she’s raised, Stewart’s made and sold more than 1,100 masks.

And, she’ll keep going as long as there is a need.

“Every little bit helps, you know?” she said.